Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Artwork in Progess

Although I've been having a fantastic time playing with race cars, I have been slowly working on a couple of art projects.

The first is of a Squirrel Monkey from the Phoenix Zoo. I really wanted to draw this little guy and thought it would be another quicky, but I have been painstakingly working on this for days and days but it is still a long way from being completed.

Why did I pick a critter with hair?! Because I like to do things the hard way, that's why. I'm so meticulous it seems I am drawing every single strand the little guy has on his body. And the leaves? sheesh. So much shading! Sometimes I can be too accurate for my own good. LOL But there is a good reason for it. I'm drawing this guy on smooth Bristol board, not just sketch paper (like my Iguana), so I want to make sure it gets done right.

Now the other artwork is mainly just practice, and it involves squirrels. Cartoony squirrels. I can draw realistic looking animals but cartoons? For some reason this now boggles my mind. When I was a kid, I could draw cartoons with no problem, but now? Problems. Luckily I kept an old animation drawing book by Preston Blair to help me out. Practice makes perfect, right?


These are my rough drawing exercises:




This next picture is of a quick sketch I did of a real squirrel and then a cartoon.

But why would I want to put myself through this torture? Because I plan on creating an animated movie involving said cartoony squirrels in the next couple of years. Of course, at the rate I'm going, it may take like 5 years. But it's good to have a goal, right?

No comments: