Thursday, January 28, 2010

Homemade Stationary

I love Sumi ink. I was introduced to it in a Fashion Illustration a couple of years ago and just fell head over heels in love with it. Since I wanted to start creating my own handmade stationary I decided to put my creative mind to use and get busy.

First off, I searched out some Japanese and Chinese illustrations, took some cues from them and painted little scenes on the paper. At first I made two different ones, but then my creativity took hold later in the day and I sketched out a few more ideas.

For coloring them I had originally wanted to use watercolors, but this paper would ripple with a single drop of water so I thought, hey, how about chalk pastels? But no, I didn't want it to smudge when the letter was being held and read. So I chose colored pencils and the results were very satisfactory. My artwork wasn't limited to the paper but also put on the envelope as well.

(Not bad for being a couple years out of practice, huh?)

This type of artwork isn't very difficult at all, so I believe anyone can do it. You just have to believe in yourself and go for it!

No comments: